5860 - Les Amis du boulevard Saint

Commentaires

Transcription

5860 - Les Amis du boulevard Saint
La Main, toujours de son temps
The Main, forever in tune
5860
boulevard Saint-Laurent
Au début du 19e siècle, les trois anciens lots actuellement occupés
par le 5860 Saint-Laurent font partie de l’immense propriété du
côté ouest de la Main qui appartient à Stanley Bagg, Esq. 1.
Dans les années 1890, le propriétaire est l’agent immobilier A.E.
Lewis, alors l’époux de la petite-fille de Bagg, Helen Bagg 2.
En 1905, la propriété est acquise par Hélène Chaput, dont le mari,
le marchand de diamants et directeur de la Banque de Ville-Marie
James Baxter, fut arrêté pour fraude en 1900. Elle et sa fille
Marie-Hélène survivent au naufrage du Titanic en 1912. Seize ans
plus tard, leur propriété sur la Main, toujours vacante, est vendue
par Marie-Hélène (Baxter) Douglas.
5 1940
3 1955
Le nouveau propriétaire, General Battery Service Ltd., y construit
l’immeuble actuel, une structure de béton de deux étages, en
1929. Pendant les années 1930, le rez-de-chaussée est utilisé pour
des activités reliées à l’automobile, entre autres par General
Motors Products of Canada, et l’étage abrite des manufactures de
vêtements. Entre 1942 et 1972, Bowers Machine Company Limited
3 y fabrique des appareils à petits moteurs et dans les années
1970 et 1980 l’immeuble loge diverses activités industrielles. En
1968-69, le 5850-5860 Saint-Laurent devient un bâtiment de coin
quand ses voisins au nord sont démolis pour construire le viaduc
Van-Horne-Rosemont et la rue Arcade.
Depuis 1994, La Maison de l’aspirateur 4, considérée parmi les
détaillants d’aspirateurs les plus importants de l’Amérique du Nord,
occupe l’immeuble. Cette entreprise, connue auparavant sous le
nom Vacuum Rebuilders Registered of Montreal, avait depuis 1938
son siège sur la Main au sud de la rue Bernard 5.
1
2
In the early 19th century, the three former lots now occupied by
5860 Saint-Laurent were part of the immense property west of
the Main that belonged to Stanley Bagg, Esq. 1. By the 1890s,
they were owned by real estate agent A.E. Lewis, who at the time
was married to Bagg’s grand-daughter, Helen Bagg 2. In 1905,
the property was acquired by Hélène Chaput, whose husband,
diamond merchant and Ville-Marie Bank director James Baxter,
had been arrested for fraud in 1900. She and her daughter
Marie-Hélène were among the survivors of the sinking of the
Titanic in 1912. Sixteen years later, Marie-Hélène (Baxter) Douglas
sold the property on the Main, which was still vacant.
The new owner, General Battery Service Ltd., constructed the
two-storey concrete structure that exists to this day. During the
1930s, its ground floor was used for automobile-related activities
by companies such as General Motors Products of Canada, and
the upper floor housed clothing factories. From 1942 until 1972,
the building housed Bowers Machine Company Limited 3, a
fabricator of equipment with small motors, and in the 1970s
and 1980s it was used for various industrial activities. In 1968-69,
its neighbours to the north were demolished in order to construct
the Van-Horne-Rosemont overpass and Arcade Street, and it
became a corner building.
4 2010
Since 1994, House of Vacuums 4, considered one of the most
reputable vacuum-cleaner retailers in North America, has occupied
the structure. The home of this company, formerly known as
Vacuum Rebuilders Registered of Montreal, had been located on
the Main below Bernard Street since 1938 5.
Sources et crédits | Sources and credits : Voir | See www.amisboulevardstlaurent.com
© Les Amis du boulevard Saint-Laurent | Friends of Saint-Laurent Boulevard, 2011

Documents pareils

Les Amis du boulevard Saint

Les Amis du boulevard Saint it from the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Market 3. The market building was replaced in 1931 by an art-deco-styled edifice 4 that was demolished in the 1960s to create a parking lot. In 1991, the parking lot...

Plus en détail

boulevard Saint

boulevard Saint Montreal revealed that one of them was used as a brothel, even though Police Station No 20 was only a few yards to the south! In the early 1930s, the ground floor was used by Diamond Taxicab Associ...

Plus en détail

boulevard Saint

boulevard Saint The building at the northwest corner of Saint-Laurent Boulevard and Bernard Street 1 was erected in 1909, just before the annexation of the Town of Saint Louis. At the time, it was owned by the mun...

Plus en détail

Hill Electric Switch Company - Les Amis du boulevard Saint

Hill Electric Switch Company - Les Amis du boulevard Saint At the beginning of the 20th century, the property now occupied by 4556-4560B Saint-Laurent housed two construction-related businesses: Ryall Screw & Specialty Company 1 and Hill Electric Switch Co...

Plus en détail